Glaziers Local 1621, I want to start by wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Please take this time to spend it with your families and loved ones. The membership has decided to cancel the December 12th, 2023, union meeting so we will see everyone at our regular schedule meeting on the 9th of […]December 01, 2023
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
The Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) is considering a rule change that will have significant impacts on Union jobs, consumers, and the Bay Area economy. Rule 6-5, as recommended by some members of the Stationary Source Committee will:
- Shut down a local refinery, killing hundreds of Union jobs and increasing our dependence on refineries in less regulated parts of the country.
- Cut off Northern California’s reliable supply of gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel impacting everyday life for our families, workers, and local businesses.
- Drain our local fuel sources, making us reliant on imports that will cause prices to rise and disproportionately affect our at-risk and low-income communities.
We are asking the BAAQMD to support an alternative to what is being proposed by the Stationary Source Committee. This alternative will help clean our air AND protect our Union jobs.
A few facts about this industry in the Bay Area:
- Thousands of Building Trades workers and 25,686 Bay Area residents employed.
- Provides 100% of the jet fuel to Northern California airports including San Francisco (SFO), Oakland (OAK) and San Jose (SJC)
- Supports 81,510 jobs in the Bay Area.
- 1.4% of all jobs in the Bay Area
- $3.4 Billion in State and Local Tax revenue.
- $51.6B in total economic contribution
- $6.4B in total wages and benefits into the local economy.
YOUR HELP IS CRITICAL! PLEASE TAKE 30 SECONDS to click this link to send a pre-written letter to the Bay Area Air Quality Management District: https://bit.ly/3dsNuoF