Marlen Miranda, Drywall Finisher Before joining the union as a drywall finisher, Marlen met a friend who introduced her to the trade. She had no experience but needed a change and wanted something new. After a year of working with a local company, Marlen heard about an opportunity at Centro Laboral de Graton, who worked […]October 01, 2022
Attention all members the fight has only begun, We must fight to keep the industrial jobs running. Please take a few minutes and click the link or even better yet you can send a text message. The phone number is below at the bottom of the page
Please forward the below communication to all of your members (both active and retired) and ask them to take action to protect Building Trades jobs by clicking on the link below and following the simple instructions that will send an email to all of the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) Board of Directors. This is a template so feel free to create your own email or text message that caters to your Local Union, we just wanted to make it easier for you. Also, if you are a county-sized or several county-sized Local Union, please reach out to your other sister Locals throughout the Bay Area to increase the amount of concern we have for Rule 6-5 as it is currently proposed by the Stationary Source Committee. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Sheet Metal Workers’ Local Union No. 104 Political and Public Relations Representative Vince Sugrue at 925-487-1194.
Subject: Please Take 30 Seconds To Tell The Bay Area Air Quality Management District To Protect Our Jobs!
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
The Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) is considering a rule change that will have significant impacts on Union jobs, consumers, and the Bay Area economy. Rule 6-5, as recommended by some members of the Stationary Source Committee will:
- Shut down a local refinery, killing hundreds of Union jobs and increasing our dependence on refineries in less regulated parts of the country.
- Cut off Northern California’s reliable supply of gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel impacting everyday life for our families, workers, and local businesses.
- Drain our local fuel sources, making us reliant on imports that will cause prices to rise and disproportionately affect our at-risk and low-income communities.
We are asking the BAAQMD to support an alternative to what is being proposed by the Stationary Source Committee. This alternative will help clean our air AND protect our Union jobs.
A few facts about this industry in the Bay Area:
- Thousands of Building Trades workers and 25,686 Bay Area residents employed.
- Provides 100% of the jet fuel to Northern California airports including San Francisco (SFO), Oakland (OAK) and San Jose (SJC)
- Supports 81,510 jobs in the Bay Area.
- 1.4% of all jobs in the Bay Area
- $3.4 Billion in State and Local Tax revenue.
- $51.6B in total economic contribution
- $6.4B in total wages and benefits into the local economy.
YOUR HELP IS CRITICAL! PLEASE TAKE 30 SECONDS to click this link to send a pre-written letter to the Bay Area Air Quality Management District: https://bit.ly/3dsNuoF
Clicking on the link and sending a pre-written letter ASAP is critical. We can’t win this fight without you speaking up. Please also share this with friends, family and colleagues.
TEXT MESSAGE: (less than 160 characters)
Our refinery jobs are under threat! Help protect our Union Jobs by signing a letter to the Bay Area Air Quality Management District: https://bit.ly/3dsNuoF