Sisters and Brother, Memorial Day is around the corner and were talking Parades and barbecue, right? But do we know why we celebrate it? Memorial Day honors all those who have died while serving in U.S. military around the country and around the world many people celebrate by attending parades, barbecues and ceremonies usually held […]May 22, 2023
Man, It’s Hot!
Posted May 19, 2023
Brothers and Sisters,
Here we are on May 19th and it’s going to be 88 degrees today, which isn’t too bad since the last few days have been over 95 degrees. Please make sure that you take every precaution to make sure that you and your fellow co-workers are safe and make it through the upcoming 100 degrees plus days of the brutal California heat. Below are several tips to prevent heat stroke, heat stroke symptoms and how to treat heat stroke or when to call for emergency help.
Heatstroke prevention tips
- Wear loose fitting, lightweight clothing and a hat.
- Protect against sunburn use 30 spf or higher sunblock and reapply during the day.
- Drink plenty of fluids. 16 oz of water every 30 to 60 minutes.
- Take extra precautions when possible. Take breaks and lunch in a shaded area.
- Never leave anyone in a parked car or directly in the sun if they fall asleep during lunch or break.
- Be cautious if you’re at increased risk. 65 years or older, overweight, people who overexert themselves during work.
- Stay away from sugary drinks, these actually cause you to lose more bodily fluids. Drink water or Pedialyte to help recover electrolytes.
Signs of heat stroke
- High body temperature of 103 or higher.
- Hot, red or damp skin.
- Fast or strong pulse.
- Losing consciousness (passing out).
Heat Stroke What to do
- Call 911 right away, heat stroke is a medical emergency.
- Move the person to a cooler place, preferably in the shade.
- Help lower the person’s temperature with cool clothes or a cool bath.
- Do not give the person anything to drink.
Please join us Wednesday May 31st, Kaiser will be here at the union hall and available by Zoom. Please see the flyer below.
Business Representative DC16/LU 1237