Glaziers Local 1621, I want to start by wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Please take this time to spend it with your families and loved ones. The membership has decided to cancel the December 12th, 2023, union meeting so we will see everyone at our regular schedule meeting on the 9th of […]December 01, 2023
Heat Stroke Prevention
Here we are on June 17th and it’s going to be 108 today. Please make sure that you take very precaution to make sure that you and your fellow co-workers are safe and make it through the 100 degrees plus days of the brutal California heat. Below are several tips to prevent heat stroke, heat stroke symptoms and how to treat heat stroke or when to call for emergency help.
Heatstroke prevention tips
- Wear loose fitting, lightweight clothing and a hat.
- Protect against sunburn use 30 spf or higher sun block and reapply during the day.
- Drink plenty of fluids. 16 oz of water every 30 to 60 minutes.
- Take extra precautions when possible. Take breaks and lunch in a shaded area.
- Never leave anyone in a parked car or directly in the sun if they fall asleep during lunch or break.
- Be cautious if you’re at increased risk. 65 years or older, overweight, people who overexert themselves during work.
- Stay away from sugary drinks, these actually cause you to lose more bodily fluids. Drink water or Pedialyte to help recover electrolytes.
Signs of heat stroke
- High body temperature of 103 or higher.
- Hot, red or damp skin.
- Fast or strong pulse.
- Losing consciousness (passing out).
Heat Stroke What to do
- Call 911 right away, heat stroke is a medical emergency.
- Move the person to a cooler place, preferably in the shade.
- Help lower the persons temperature with cool cloths or cool bath.
- Do not give the person anything to drink.
Please make sure to watch over your fellow brothers and sisters out on the jobsite so we can all make it home safe to all of our loved ones. I’m curious how many Local 1237 members are reading the local’s article. The first Local 1237 member who calls me will get 2 limited editions 80th anniversary hats. You can reach me at (916)407-8279.